Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Time is Precious

Over the course of my life I have learned so many things. One important thing that I have learned is to appreciate time. My childhood best friend has been sick off and on since we were kids and the doctors have told her that she may not have long to live. Only God knows her destiny but I am not sad because she taught me that time is precious. It wasn’t until the last few months that this revelation has come full circle but you get the picture. Her boyfriend expressed to me a few months ago that he wanted to get married but was unsure if he was ready because he was not financially where he wanted to be. This morning he proposed. I had the pleasure of speaking to him about an hour or so after it happened and I asked why now. He simply said “Tomecca, I know that I want to be with her 20 years from now but with her illness I am unsure that I have 20 days left. I have taken so much of her precious time away from her through my own selfishness of not being ready all the while all she wanted from me is for me to love her and be with her and keep her safe.” He told me this morning he woke up and looked over at her and realized there was no place he would rather be and he knew she was “the one.” At that very moment, I realized that I may not have 2 weeks from now to tell someone that I love them or go on that fabulous vacation that I have always longed to go on. She has taught me to cherish every moment and treat it like it is my last. God has given me 31 precious years with her and I treasure each moment with her down to the Halloween we dressed up as hookers and actually stood outside on the corner in our neighborhood and passed out candy to the days we were living the carefree life thinking 30 years old was ancient and that we would be wrinkled by now. Little did we know. I really want to be selfish and ask God to let her stay with me but I know her body is weary and she is tired. Whether he lets her stay with me for 3 more days or 30 more years I am blessed that he allowed her to be a part of my life for as long as she has. They are getting married as soon as they can get the license and her father is going to marry them. I think that is the most precious thing in the world to look at someone and just know that you want to spend the rest of your life with them. This has been a subject that I have kept to myself and it is hard for me to talk about so I just used writing as my outlet because I told her I would not cry… Little does she know in the beginning when I found out I cried daily BUT I am okay now because every morning when I wake up she sends me a text of nothing but a picture of her smile so I can not cry when every morning I wake up looking at teeth and lips. LOL!! Have a good day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment